Wednesday, January 18, 2006

A Change of Plans

There are times in our lives when we’re going in one way and life suddenly takes a new direction. Such a time has come for me this week.

Before I left Newcastle Elementary School, I knew that I would build a career of public service as an LAPD officer. Like everyone, I’ve had ups and downs, but my perseverance has rewarded me with a lifetime of dreams fulfilled.

Since retiring from the LAPD in 2000, I have enjoyed travel, time with my family and friends, and the peace that comes with knowing that I’ve done good things for my neighbors and community. I’ve also enjoyed writing and sharing what has been in my heart for so many years.

Last week, a friend asked me to represent California’s 42nd Assembly District. Assembly Member Paul Koretz has held the post since 2000 and his term ends this year. As a Marine Corps sergeant and LA cop, I’ve never run from duty and I’m not about to start now. After discussing the idea with my family and friends, I’ve decided to accept the challenge. I signed the papers last night and am now the Republican candidate for the 42nd Assembly District of California.

I have never aspired to be a politician. I have enjoyed a retirement of reading, writing, and family punctuated by work as a private investigator and scuba divemaster in the Andaman Sea. I’d much rather ride my motorcycle around this great country with Carol than chase campaign contributions or make speeches. At the same time, I believe that much can be done to improve the lives of all Californians. Democracy is only as good as the people who make it work.

Regardless of any philosophical differences we may have, you will always know where I stand on any given issue. I won’t compromise myself for campaign funding or votes. What you see is what you get.

As one who worked on the streets of LA, I’ve lived where the political rubber meets the constituent road: A place where politicians do bad things by pretending to oppose them, and block good things by pretending to support them. Serving LA residents from San Pedro to Chatsworth and Oakwood to Downtown has always been easier than dealing with the mess left by reckless politicians. And after decades of Democratic leadership in Los Angeles, it’s hard to imagine anyone wanting more of the same.

I have nothing to hide politically. Many of my philosophies are on this blog and, although you might argue on some points, you will see that I’m honest about who I am and what I think – something I’ve rarely found among political candidates. I’m not ambitious. If you vote for me you won’t have any problem figuring out who I am or what I stand for. My door will always be open as will be my heart and ear.

In the coming weeks I will post where I stand on various issues. If you don’t see an issue that concerns you or have questions, please feel free to email me at:

Vote4CW(AT)sbcglobal.net


1 Comments:

Blogger Al Thomas said...

How did you find out about Alonza Thomas the 15 year old who robbed a store in Bakersfield California? Have you researched his particular crime or did you just read a police report? You made some pretty strong statements about him and the life you felt he lead. I understand as a retired cop you may have a certain slant in your thinking of anyone who commits a crime. I am very curious how this particular case came to your attention.


Al

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home